FUGON MEMORIAL PARK – Working With Tadao Ando
The park concept is inspired by Feng Shui as representing one of the key animals, Dragon, within the space.
The symbolic shape of Taijitu (Ying & Yang) and the Dragon’s characteristic features such as S shape body, skin texture, wings and spiny dorsal fin have been proposed within the scheme to symbolise them in a secretive way as part of the concept.
The aim of the design approach is to create a meaningful place for visitors to stop the time and remember the great memories with their lost and loved ones within a relaxing and peaceful atmosphere while listening to rustling tree leaves and the sound of birds and tricking water like a Heaven.
The key design features;
- The feature wall with a waterfall is to be textured in dragon’s scale/skin to create an important landmark within the space while providing a cooling function and movement. ‘’Rest in peace’’ text is to be engraved on the wall for the memory of the deceased within the graveyard which will create a deeper sense of space.
- The upper pond will have an indefinite edging to create a relaxing and peaceful environment within a contemporary setting and a link to the lower terrace.
- The lower pond containing water jets/fountains to the front of the feature wall will provide a cooling function, interaction and movement within the space.
- The linear sculptures in the lower pond will symbolise ‘Dragon’s spiny dorsal’.
- The modern seating feature will create a viewing point for the water feature in a relaxing environment.
- The contemporary sculpture, symbolising Dragon’s eye or egg in the small pond area at the lowest terrace will create a striking focal point to attract visitors.
- The curved seating feature will create a relaxing environment under the trees’ cool shade while representing the curve lines of Taijitu- 太极图 and Dragon body (part of S shape).
- The proposed steps will have interesting details within the planting area as gradually vanishing in accordance with the surrounding levels with a modern and naturalistic finish.
- Large boulders will provide a natural and minimalist setting.
- The permeable paving which contains randomly cut slabs and laid in dragon’s skin patterns will create an interesting and modern surface and provide SUDS (natural drainage system) to prevent flooding and reduce global warming.
- Bird boxes and insect hotels will be included within the space to enhance habitat and encourage biodiversity for birds, ladybirds, butterflies etc.
- The proposed trees aim to soften the hard landscape features (building, wall etc) and create aesthetically beautiful vertical green features. In addition, all proposed trees within the site are to enhance wildlife and provide shade as a cooling factor and reducing global warming.
- Shrub and perennial planting will create year-round interest with a natural and modern planting style while creating habitat and encouraging biodiversity.
In conclusion, the whole concept represents Feng Shui with the key design features within the space while creating harmony with the architect’s (Tadao Ando) building nearby and the overall master plan’s concept of the park. In addition, our design approach in the park will create a unique place for a relaxing and peaceful environment for visitors while providing an eco-friendly green space that will be a benefit to the whole community.